Wednesday 6 May 2009

The engine has landed!
















That was the left hand side, (the clutch on the Rotax), done, next was the top end! This actually went on quite well but when he came to fit the cam pulley he noticed it was touching the casing behind, he read the manual and it said there should be a shim behind the pulley. Steve is very maticulous when it comes to engines and said there was not one there, so again a shim was found to sit behind the pulley, then when fitting the new timing belt he found it was a touch too long, with the tensioning adjuster at maximum the free play, (when the belt is pushed away from the guide), was over 10mm when it should a maximum of 6mm, Steve put the original belt back on. Steve then set up the tappet gaps and valve timing, which is way, way over my head! Steve tried to explain but my head was hurting....DOH. When Steve was bolting down the rocker covers one of the threads stripped, so yet again he had to drill, tap and insert a helicoil, however this was a blind hole so no worries about swarf. I asked Steve to fit one of the better flywheels, pick up and generator windings as the original was looking very second hand! And then at around 22:30 Steve said the words, "Thats it, its done!!"

I will be spending all my spare time in the garage now just to get this project finished, I have almost all the parts I need now so nothing can hold me back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I have been racing motorcycles on/off for over 25 years, (but unfortunately not very well"!!!!),and although I officially retired from racing at the end of 2008 an offer has been made to me to contest the 2010 Supermono Cup on a very famous bike, "Gordon"