Sunday 15 March 2009

Shock is fitted


Managed to get into the garage today and get on with fitting the rear shock, as I mentioned before the dia of the spring is larger than the original item but not by much. I will have to shave a nikky whisker off the swing arm plate so the spring does not impede when compressed. When I put the shock in place I marked where I had to grind it back to, the shock was then removed and I set about the task with a drill extension and a small grinding wheel. I had given this job about two hours in my head but when I started I realised that it was not such a hard job and within 30 minutes I was ready to try the shock for size.








When I fitted the shock I was pleased to see the spring was well clear of the swing arm plate where I had ground it back, the next job was to space out the top fitment of the shock. After measuring the shock, then the gap I knew how much spacing was needed, this was done by using thick stainless washers and then everything was bolted tight. I let the preload right off so I could emulate the movement of the shock, and after several mimicked movements I was happy that the spring was clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I have been racing motorcycles on/off for over 25 years, (but unfortunately not very well"!!!!),and although I officially retired from racing at the end of 2008 an offer has been made to me to contest the 2010 Supermono Cup on a very famous bike, "Gordon"